Crochet a sweet flower clip that acts as a removable brooch or hairpiece! This flower is the finishing touch on a crocheted wedding garter designed by Salena Baca. You can find complete instructions for the garter in our Spring 2013 issue. This new edition is all about “creative celebrations,” so whether you’re getting married, throwing a baby shower or celebrating other milestones such as graduations or birthdays, we’ve got you covered with craft projects and boundless inspiration for your next event.
Crocheted Flower Clip
By Salena Baca
What you need:
- Sport weight yarn, gauge 2 (sample shown was made using cream Sinfonia yarn)
- Size E hook
- 1-1⁄2-inch-wide button or jewel
- 1-1⁄2- to 2-inch alligator clip
- Hot glue gun and sticks
- sk: skip
- st/sts: stitch/stitches
- ch: chain
- sl st: slip stitch
- sc: single crochet
- dc: double crochet
How to create:
1. Form a magic ring, ch 2 (first hdc) and work 11 hdc into ring, sl st to join (12 hdc).
2. Ch 4 (first sc and ch 3), sk 1 st and sc into following, *ch 3, sk 1 st and sc into following. Repeat 4 times from *. Ch 3 and sl st into first ch 4 space to join (six ch 3 spaces formed).
3. To create petals, work following into each ch 3 space around: sl st, hdc, 2 dc, hdc, sl st. Cut and fasten work (six petals formed).
1. Form a magic ring, ch 2 (first dc) and work 15 dc into ring, sl st to join (16 dc).
2. Ch 6 (first hdc and ch 4), sk 1 st and hdc into following, *ch 4, sk 1 St and hdc into following. Repeat 6 times from *. Ch 4 and sl st into first ch 6 space to join (eight ch 4 spaces formed).
3. To create petals, work following into each ch 4 space around: sl st, hdc, 3 dc, hdc, sl st. Cut and fasten work (eight petals formed).
1. Join top and bottom flower layers together by fastening a jewel or button through center layers of both.
2. Hot glue an alligator clip to back.