Keep your coffee hot and your hands cool with a simple fabric coffee cozy in your favorite fabrics.
- Coffee Cozy Template (download pdf)
- Two pieces cotton fabric, at least 5-1/2” x 12” each (these will be fabric “A” and fabric “B”)
- Piece of cotton batting, at least 5-1/2” x 12”
- Button (we used a 7/8” covered button)
- Scrap of 1/8” elastic, 2” long
- Wash-away marking pen or pencil
- Bamboo skewer or other long, pointed object
- Coordinating thread
- Hand needle
- Sewing machine
- Cut out coffee cozy template. Fold one piece of cotton fabric A in half and place template on top, aligning marked straight edge with folded edge of fabric (fig. 1). Trace around template onto fabric with wash-away marking pen or pencil. Cut out and repeat for remaining fabric B and batting.
- Place fabric A on top of batting, with edges aligned and right side facing up. Fold elastic in half to create a loop and pin in place to the center of one straight edge, raw edges together (fig. 2).
- Place fabric B face-down on top of fabric A, aligning raw edges with right sides together; pin. Using a 1/4 inch seam allowance, sew all layers together around edges. Leave a 2-inch gap for turning and backstitch over elastic several times to secure (fig. 3).
- Turn cozy right side out through gap, pushing out corners with a skewer or other long, pointed object. Turn under unstitched edges 1/4 inch; press cozy.
- Topstitch around all sides of cozy near outside edges.
- Stitch button into place on right side of cozy, centered vertically and approximately 1” from edge (fig. 4). Wrap around to-go coffee, loop elastic around button and enjoy!