- Cut 3 rectangular pieces (one of print cotton fabric, one of thin batting, and one of white wool felt) 6 x 11 inches.
- Cut two rectangles of white wool felt 5 x 6 inches for the inside pages.
- Cut one piece of print fabric 6 x 6 inches to make the pocket at the back of the book. Fold this piece in half, wrong sides together and press.
- Fold wool felt in approximate thirds to determine front and embellish as desired (fig. 1). Sample features a hand-embroidered design in green floss; click here to download template.
- Place the folded rectangle of print fabric on the right side of the larger fabric rectangle at the right end. Glue-baste in place (fig. 2).
- With wool rectangle right side up on table and embellished section to the right, lay fabric rectangle (with basted cotton pocket) face down on wool rectangle, with pocket on left, at opposite end of embellished felt. Place batting on top and pin layers together around edges. Using a 1/4-inch seam allowance, sew all of the way around, leaving a 2-inch opening for turning (fig. 3).
- Turn the rectangles right side out. The batting will be enclosed between the layers and print fabric will line the inside, while the decorated wool felt will become the front of the book. The fabric pocket should be on the right third inside of the book. Close the 2-inch opening with hand stitching.
- Measure and mark the book in thirds (about 3 inches for each third). Machine stitch the pages in place across first and second thirds of needle book (fig. 4).
- Fold needle book together so that the front page shows when the book is opened. Stitch a button onto center edge of top flap; attach a length of floss for closing tie and knot ends. Determine placement of second piece of floss on outside folded edge of needle book so that it can tie together with first piece; stitch in place through all layers (fig. 5). Fill with all your needles and notions and enjoy!