With Memorial Day behind us and Independence Day quickly arriving next month, it’s prime time to inject lots of red, white and blue into your summertime crafting! We had a blast creating these easy, repurpose-friendly centerpieces that will help spruce up your picnic table, mantel or kitchen table for the season.
What you need:
• Recycled bottles
• Recycled wine corks
• 2-inch Styrofoam ball
• American flag toothpicks
• 3-inch-wide red, white and blue grosgrain ribbon
• Thin silver tinsel trim
• Decorative vintage-style refreshment bags
• 20-guage silver floral wire stems
• Wire cutters
• Pushpin or awl
• Small star paper punch
• Craft glue
• Hot glue
Wine Cork Firecrackers
1. Cut a 3-inch length of 3-inch-wide red, white and blue grosgrain ribbon.
2. Wrap around wine cork, hot gluing at cut ends to secure.
3. To make sparkling firecracker wick, cut a 1-inch length of both 20-gauge florist wire and silver tinsel trim. Apply a dab of craft glue at one end of wire. Tie tinsel trim into a knot over end of wire on top of glue; let dry and trim excess as desired.
4. Use a pushpin or awl to pre-poke a hole at center top and bottom of wine cork. Apply craft glue to bare end of firecracker wick and insert into top of wine cork. Apply craft glue to end of a length of floral wire and insert into bottom of wine cork. Allow to dry completely, then trim stem to desired length.
1. Punch a large amount of stars from red cardstock.
2. Begin attaching stars to 2-inch Styrofoam ball by inserting straight pins through center of stars. Continue until entire ball is covered.
3. Punch 10 stars from red glittered cardstock and pin to ball randomly.
4. Apply craft glue to end of a length of floral wire and insert into bottom of ball; allow to dry completely, then trim stem to desired length.
Purchased flag toothpicks are generally manufactured by wrapping a length of paper around a toothpick, leaving a small gap into which a length of floral wire can be inserted. Though the fit will likely be secure enough without glue, you may apply a bit of glue to floral wire first for security if desired.
Vintage-Style Carnival Bag Vases
Purchased vintage-inspired peanut and popcorn bags make fun vase covers to spruce up your table (we found these at Shop Sweet Lulu). Simply cut off the bottom end of the bag to create a tube, then slide over recycled bottles or jars.
Visit our online store to discover more fun summer craft ideas!